After more than 6 years of working with Filipino employees, I learned a couple things this week about the 13th month bonus custom in the Philippines.
- It’s LEGALLY REQUIRED! – I thought this was the case…but wasn’t completely sure.
- It’s supposed to be paid BEFORE Dec. 24
- Paying it earlier in the month is better.
- Paying it close to the 24th (or even after) is disrespectful and likely to anger employees (I’ve done this before!)
- It has specific formulas for calculating what is required!
- It’s NOT a Christmas bonus. A bonus is given ON TOP of the 13th month.
To my GUYS:
WHY DIDN’T YOU EVER SAY ANYTHING TO ME???
If you hired them late in December I don't think you're supposed to pay the 13th month. Just a christmas bonus if you feel it's deserved.
John – really need your advise on how to decide the bonuses…Please advise.
Hi John – what is a typical raise for an average performing employee?
Useful info – thanks John. I see some comments about using Ko Kard. Can anyone share their experience of using it please. I'm especially interested in security for both my workers and me.