In my last blog post about hiring Filipino workers and requiring them to only have 1 job I apparently stirred up some controversy.
In the comments
- I was accused of exploiting people
- I was told that I don’t pay enough
- I was told that the people I hire aren’t “employees”
I feel differently about all of them.
Here’s my response:
Here are the notes I worked from:
- I stand by what I said. I require only 1 job.
- I don’t pay my people $250/month for very long. They get raises. They get large bonuses. This according to their output/loyalty/devotion.
- Pay is different in different parts of the country. Manila is different than davao. Companies pay more, cost of living is more. It doesn’t mean your work quality is better.
I have people in davao and their work is just as good as people anywhere else in the country. They ASK for less money.
Companies in Mindanao or Panay or Palawan are NOT paying 20,000 pesos per month. Different regions of the Philippines have VERY different in their pay scales.
- I don’t advocate exploiting people. When I teach outsourcing I teach what’s real about wage differences, but also tell people to treat them well. Not everyone will.
Nobody is forcing anyone to work. If the wages you’re being paid aren’t enough, you should go look for a different job.
- I love my workers. I try to treat them very well. They get all the paid time off they want. They work the hours they want. They’ve asked for me to pay their Phil Health and SSS and I gave them raises to pay for it.
- In the end, what I think this comes down to is
If you treat people well, they’ll do good work. If you don’t, they won’t.
Thanks for this video — what monthly dollar amount (for a raise) covers health and SSS?
thank you for having the courage to address the 'difficult issues' as well as the more easy things.
that takes courage … and dharater.
Your attitude reflects a"good heatt"
Something for me to emulate … and I do … and I will.
monthly bills – average
gasoline 750 per week
electricity 1000 per month
water bill 400 per month
internet 990 per month
house rent 5000-10,000 – not so nice
food allowance for the entire family – nothing left
yup its just a rough estimate
Living with parents and boarding houses make this possible.
Also I rented a 2 bedroom in Puerto Princessa for P5000 1.5 years ago.
Please do see my reply.
Yes, I will be paying my workers more, but $200 is a fair wage to start.
I have encountered a lot of problem initially to hire people from there. Finally I was about to give up when something made me to advertise again. Luckily I found a good worker. After that I have built a team of 4 workers. All are good. I am paying them what they asked. Also I paid them bonuses and increased their wages. A business shoud be run in ethical way and I know John who will never exploit anyone.
There are people who lack the initiative of looking for a better opportunities. People who graduated college but with low IQ, they are the people who are glad to have those work and time of pay, so you know. But skilled people like us…nah..we have options.. a lot of options. And that rate you mention was 10 years ago
that is a house made of wood with less foundation. house here actually ranging from 2 million up…there are lesser that price of course but expect like a batcherlor's pad type.
Just seen your video this is not exploitation paying $250 is around 12000 pesos I have spoken to many Filipinos and the reason they decide to work online is because it pays better than whats available.
There was this one young girl who was a qualified nurse if she did not have the option of working online she would be working for 6000 pesos per month doing 50 hours per week.
Am sure different locations in the country are more expensive than others but i have found $250 per month is good enough to get started but if your worker is doing a great job daily then they deserve a pay rise but they will have to earn it.
I found reading your articles really interesting and would love to actually have a chat to you when you have time.
I always was interested in this subject and still am, regards for posting .
Need Personal English Secretary, Work in China
Position: Personal English Secretary, Work in China
Working Place: Guangdong, China
Working Time: 26 days/month
1. Married Female.
2. Excellent education background, excellent English background.
3. Very good at English speaking and expression.
4. If your major is English education is better.
If youâ€™re qualified, pls email your English resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
My company is going out of business therefore, I had to terminate my employee. I was only able to pay her for one additional week after her official termination. Her reply was that she request hat the company pay her two months after her termination date. We are bankrupted and there is no funds. How do I make it a easy to understand NO?
My nephew is one of the ambassador for Laos and only make $500 usd per month. Yes…$500. so a VA making $300 to $500 is pretty decent. I am not saying this is correct but in the 3rd world country this is fair.