Scott is a good manager.
This case study was a pleasure to do for me because time and time again I saw how he’s doing things right.
It’s no wonder he’s succeeding.
There’s a lot to be learned from this (even the parts where he’s not doing it right…and he KNOWS he’s not doing it right!).
Summary of Success Story with Scott Smith: Managing Filipinos The Right Way
- 0:45 – Scotts team
- 1:15 – Scott does local business marketing for churches
- 2:05 – what Scott’s team does for him (WordPress, plugins, graphics, video design, research, looking for JV partners, …)
- 3:30 – finding people for specific skills, not necessarily for WordPress
- 5:05 – tools become an excuse to procrastinate
- 5:35 – understand WordPress yourself – get someone else to implement it for you
- 6:33 – help someone get good at things, on your team, so the future gets better
- 8:20 – learn it yourself, then hire someone else to implement it for you
- 10:06 – hiring a full-time graphic designer
- 12:10 – Scott created a full side business just based on the skills of his team!
- 14:30 – don’t hire someone to do everything! Hire someone to do 1 thing.
- 17:45 – Scott has a programmer in the UK. He could find the same skill set from someone in the Philippines!
- 20:35 – Hiring “by-the-hour”. A conversation for and against.
- 24:45 – Potential consequences of hiring on a per-project basis.
- 26:05 – Doing affiliate marketing in your teams downtime
- 29:30 – Getting local clients
- 30:40 – Advice from Scott: be detailed in your instructions <– this is a big deal. It’s the biggest feedback I’ve gotten from my team is that they like detailed instructions.
- 32:10 – “A lot of time it’s the boss’ problem”
- 33:05 – Put the onus on yourself – assume it was your fault first, that you weren’t clear enough <– THIS IS HUGE!!!
- 33:40 – show your gratitude (verbally), then give bonuses
- 35:30 – foster their feeling of community
- 36:35 – Scotts testimonial for me about his success with the Philippines